Provides Taiwan eye care professionals with a well-established product to support healing in corneal-involved dry eye, keratitis, recurrent corneal erosions, and other ocular surface diseases
Miami, FL – August 5, 2020 — Bio-Tissue, Inc., a TissueTech, Inc. company and leader in the clinical application of human birth tissue products for ocular surface disease and disorders, announced today that its proprietary PROKERA Slim corneal bandage is now approved for eye care professionals’ use in Taiwan.
PROKERA Slim, part of the PROKERA portfolio of products, is a low-profile amniotic membrane corneal bandage designed to contour to the ocular surface to enhance patient comfort and long-term patient outcomes during the healing process.1-7 PROKERA was cleared by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 2003 as a medical device and contains the only Cryopreserved Amniotic Membrane designated by the FDA as an anti-inflammatory, anti-scarring, and anti-angiogenic on the ocular surface. As the U.S. market leader for more than 15 years, PROKERA is used by thousands of eye care professionals around the world.
For patients with ocular surface disease, corneal healing is crucial.1,8 Impaired corneal healing can increase the risk of repeated epithelial defects or erosions, chronic inflammation, scarring, vision loss, or pain.8
“We are very pleased to be able to provide eye care professionals in Taiwan the opportunity to provide better patient outcomes with PROKERA Slim,” said Scheffer Tseng, MD, PhD, Co-founder and Chief Technology Officer at Bio-Tissue and an ophthalmologist with more than 30 years of experience. “We have seen superior outcomes when comparing PROKERA Slim to traditional bandage contact lenses.1 Clinical research has shown us that 70% of eyes re-epithelialized by day five with PROKERA Slim vs. only 20% with a bandage contact lens. Additionally, 90% of eyes achieved absolute corneal clarity by day seven with PROKERA Slim vs. 0% with a bandage contact lens. That is significant for clinical and patient outcomes.”
PROKERA Slim, along with PROKERA Classic, is exclusively distributed in Taiwan for Bio-Tissue by Orient EuroPharma (OEP). OEP is also the exclusive distributor for Bio-Tissue products in the Philippines, Malaysia, Singapore, Hong Kong, Vietnam, Thailand, and Indonesia.
To learn more about how PROKERA Slim and other PROKERA products might help your patients, visit this page. For more information about Orient EuroPharma, visit https://www.oepgroup.com/englobal/product/levelTwo/tissuetech.
About Bio-Tissue, Inc.
Bio-Tissue, Inc., a TissueTech, Inc. company, is the market leader in the clinical application of Cryopreserved Amniotic Membrane-based products for the treatment of diseases and disorders of the ocular surface. Established in 1997, Bio-Tissue serves an unmet need for better surgical and therapeutic alternatives for helping eye care professionals manage ocular surface conditions, such as keratitis, recurrent corneal erosions, conjunctivochalasis, pterygium, and dry eye. Connect with Bio-Tissue on our Physician Portal (for healthcare professionals only), Website, Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter.
About TissueTech, Inc.
TissueTech, Inc., the parent company of Bio-Tissue, Inc. and Amniox Medical, Inc., pioneered the development and clinical application of human birth tissue-based products. Founded in 1997, Bio-Tissue markets products for the ophthalmology and optometry markets; and Amniox markets products for use in the musculoskeletal and wound care markets. Clinicians have performed more than 500,000 human implants with the Company’s products and published more than 360 peer-reviewed studies supporting its products and platform technology. The company’s first product, AmnioGraft®, is the only tissue graft designated by the FDA to act as an antiinflammatory anti-scarring and anti-angiogenic agent. Learn more at https://tissuetech.com/.
About Orient EuroPharma (OEP)
A full-scale, multinational pharmaceutical company founded in 1982, Orient EuroPharma (OEP) became officially listed in the Taiwan Exchange in 2003. In the beginning, the Company was a prescription drug distributor, but has now become a full-scale, multinational pharmaceutical company. The core competencies of the Company not only include pharmaceutical innovation, R&D, manufacturing, sales and clinical trials, but has significantly increased the Company’s operational efficiency through vertical integration to provide customers with more complete services. In 2019, the Company exceeded 1,000 employees worldwide, of which about 40% are overseas personnel, and the combined revenue exceeded NT$6 billion (US$200 million).
1. Desai NR. A comparison of cryopreserved amniotic membrane and bandage contact lens in their ability to provide high-quality healing after superficial keractectomy. Rev Ophthalmol. September 2014:1-6.
2. John T, Tighe S, Sheha H, et al. Corneal nerve regeneration after self-retained cryopreserved amniotic membrane in dry eye disease. J Ophthalmol. 2017:6404918 (Epub).
3. McDonald MB, Sheha H, Tighe S, et al. Treatment outcomes in the Dry Eye Amniotic Membrane (DREAM) study. Clin Ophthalmol. 2018; 12:677-681.
4. Pachigolla G, Prasher P, Di Pascuale MA, et al. Evaluation of the role of PROKERA in the management of ocular surface and orbital disorders. Eye Contact Lens. 2009;35(4):172-175.
5. Cheng AM, Zhao D, Chen R, et al. Accelerated restoration of ocular surface health in dry eye disease by self-retained cryopreserved amniotic membrane. Ocular Surf. 2016;14(1):56-63.
6. Morkin MI, Hamrah P. Efficacy of self-retained cryopreserved amniotic membrane for treatment of neuropathic corneal pain. Ocular Surf. 2018;16(1):132-138.
7. Tseng SC. HC-HA/PTX3 purified from amniotic membrane as novel regenerative matrix: Insight into relationship between inflammation and regeneration. Invest Ophthalmol. Vis Sci. 2016;57(5):1-8.
8. Rumpakis J. Amniotic membranes—the perfect cover. Rev Ophthalmol. April 2016:49-54.